Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] homeowner@home.com is offline

Default (OT) Car coolant question

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 22:53:04 +0000 (UTC),
(Larry W) wrote:

Let me just throw out here, that just because a car repair shop owner
says that 50% or whatever of his business is replacing in-tank fuel pumps,
that does not necessarily mean that 100% of those pumps actually needed to
be replaced...

:wq

While I get your drift, but I know for fact several of the people who's
cars/trucks most definately did not have a working pump. I dont enjoy
working on machinery too much. I fix most of my own, but when friends
ask me to do repairs, I tell them no. Yet, I'll often do a simple
diagnosis for them. It's easy to stick a piece of hose in the gas tank,
hold it to my ear and listen for the pump. If I dont hear it, I will
usually check for power at the wire going to the pump. If there's
power, the pump is shot. Then they can take it to a mechanic or fix it
themself.

I am wondering if we have some fuel additives around here that ruins the
pumps. Not all parts of the country get the same fuel, and here in the
north, we have summer gas and winter gas. Who knows whats in it that
may do damage. All of it contains alcohol these days too, yet in an
adjoining state, they still sell pure 100% gasoline.