Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default My belt sander thinks it's a Van de Graaff generator

On 1/31/2013 6:52 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
You might try adding some type of grounded metal spikes pointing at the
surface of the belt in a couple places, as long as they're out of your
way.

This would bleed the charged off before it arcs over to you. The pointier
and closer to the belt, but not touching the better.

This is the right answer. You want to conduct the charge from the belt
to the frame, to ground. So, the frame does need to be grounded.

I don't think that a gap is needed, in fact I think that direct contact
is better. If your sander has a metal platen, that should have an
electrical connection to the frame. Since it's likely that this
connection does exist, just through normal mounting hardware, it is even
more likely that you do not have a good ground on the frame.

Bob