Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default My belt sander thinks it's a Van de Graaff generator

"Artemus" fired this volley in news:kef2tc$ik0$1
@dont-email.me:

Get an ohmmeter and test the ground connection between the
chassis and the 3rd pin on the plug. Power cords have been known
to go bad. Less likely is a faulty ground at the outlet.
I assume you are not using a 2 wire extension cord - right?

There's also the possibility that the non-driven pulley is framed in
plastic, and might not be grounded. That's not usually the case, since
there's almost always a metal tensioner bar pushing from chassis to
pulley.

Lloyd