Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default My belt sander thinks it's a Van de Graaff generator

Jim Stewart wrote:
I've had one inch sparks from the belt
to my hands while using it. Any suggestions?
It's chassis is connected to the power
plug ground.

that's pretty amusing, like the lightning storm you can get with a C02
fire entinguisher.

You might try adding some type of grounded metal spikes pointing at the
surface of the belt in a couple places, as long as they're out of your
way.

This would bleed the charged off before it arcs over to you. The pointier
and closer to the belt, but not touching the better.

Even a chopped up pop can tin snipped into "spikes" and screwed into
something would probably work and cost nothing. Put some bends in the
metal so it's ridgid and doesn't flap around, tear off and fly into
your face.

Or just wet the belt, if you can.