Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default [OT] Second Ammendment Question

On Thursday, January 31, 2013 3:07:37 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Listening to the radio, today. Aparently,

"instant checks" or universal background

checks is another form of registration.

Since, it can be reasoned, that anyone

who applies to be checked must be a gun

owner of some form.

Background checks are to keep known criminals from being permitted to make an otherwise legal purchase of a firearm. They are not about registering anyone as a gun owner. I think that your reasoning is flawed. I am licensed to operate radio equipment, though I don't own any, and have been licensed to operate airplanes though I never owned any.

Christopher A. Young

Learn more about Jesus

www.lds.org

.

"George Plimpton" wrote in message

.. .

I don't think they have any substantive reason for opposing universal

background checks.

Registration is another matter. That doesn't do anything to keep guns

out of the hands of bad people. It's purely a form of intimidation

aimed at law-abiding gun owners, and as many have already pointed out,

is the classic first step toward confiscation. The NRA's opposition to

gun registration is sound and substantive.

When speaking of "Registration" I was talking about registration of the weapon, not of the user. The purpose of registration of firearms would be to track their ownership from the time of their manufacture to the time (hopefully never) that they are involved in a crime. There are plenty of guns leaving the factory in a legal manner and ending up on a black or gray market in Chicago or New York. How did they get there? Wouldn't it be of some benefit to be able to trace who owned it last?

You can trace the ownership of a car through a national database, and it doesn't restrict anyone's ability to purchase or own a car. Why would a similar database limit your rights to own a gun? I just don't see how anyone should be intimidated by this, any more that you'd be intimidated by having to register your car.