Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anybody here make a magnetic brake?

On Jan 31, 12:20*pm, wrote:
I am working on a 5th axis for the mill. I think it will need a brake.
I'm not sure if the servo motor will be able to hold position for some
operations. I have looked at magnetic particle brakes and they ain't
cheap. So I'm thinking about making one. Or some type of
electromagnetic brake. The brake, when actuated, must not cause any
motion of the axis, and I'm just not sure what would work best.
Eric

I have never made one. But looked at Herbach and Rademan and saw they
have clutches from Deltran and Mitsubishi. Doubt if they are robust
enough, but googled Deltran and found that Danaher offers a guide to
Deltran clutches and Brakes. So you might look at Herback and Rademan
and get some part numbers . And then look at the guide to Clutches and
Brakes.

I always look at what is available and see how they did it before
designing my own.

Dan