Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

Default Last step in the project of building a home soda machine for flavoring cola

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 19:40:15 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 20:35:17 -0500, krw wrote:

No more than 190 proof (though some is "only" 150 proof). Ethanol can't
be distilled beyond 95%. To get it more pure, things like Benzene have
to be added, which just kills the flavor.

Look at what I just found in my "chemical stash" from grad school days!

It's pure ethanol, with a long tax stamp even!
It has to be 35 years old or more!

I don't see 'any' mention of benzene on the bottle though ...

That's how it's made. Alcohol and water *CANNOT* be distilled above
95%. Impossible. To make "pure" alcohol, one adds 5% benzene to the
95% alcohol/water mix and then distills the alcohol off from that.
There will always be a trace of benzene in the resulting alcohol;
enough that you really don't want to drink it.

PS: When did they stop using tax stamps on alcohol?

Did they?