Posted to rec.woodworking
Dick Snyder[_5_] Dick Snyder[_5_] is offline

Default Sanding teak (interior use only)

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 10:24:38 -0500, "Dick Snyder"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 20:49:15 -0500, "Dick Snyder"
wrote:

I have just completed a teak cover (top, bottom, and sides) for my
crappy
stone mantle on my fireplace. I want to sand the teak to remove some
marks.
I know teak is an oily wood. Does anyone have any advice for me? All I
can
find when I google is advice on boat decks and outdoor teak furniture
where
the teak has dried out in the sun. My mantle cover is 3/4" teak I
purchased
from a wood supplier in my area and it is still pretty oily.

Wet or oily?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Now's the time to buy a cabinet scraper and learn how to use it.
They're really great. Find 'em locally or buy online.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-pc-Scraper-Set/D3294

Alternatively, you can always wipe it down with acetone just prior to
sanding. It's just wood. Don't forget to ventilate well. (I forgot
to when doing a small amount of painting with Rustoleum a couple
months ago and got a case of 45 minute flu from it. Thought I was
gonna die for a while.)

--
Poverty is easy. It's Charity and Chastity that are hard.

Larry, the cabinet scraper worked great. I did not put a burr on it as you
suggested. I finished up with a light touch of Abranet sanding mesh
attached
to my ROS with a shop vac so I did not get much loading up. Thanks again
for
the idea.

I'm glad to hear that, Dick. What were you touching up with the mesh?
I've found that scrapers give me a better-than-400 grit finish while
the meshes I've bought are usually 150 grit. I touch up with 320 or
400 paper.

--
I've long been passionate about protecting and expanding democracy,
which is really the only viable mechanism to preserve liberty and

The front edge of my piece is narrower than the scraper (3 1/4"). I was
worried about an inadvertent gouge in one of the two edges of the piece.