Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Karl - you may lose me to the Dark Side

On Jan 30, 1:46*pm, Swingman wrote:

Momma didn't raise no fools, Bubba ... and, I try not to learn the hard
way.

Geez Karl... I learn everything the hard way. Not on purpose, that
just seems to be my method.

It is waaaaay too easy to scuff this es spensive stuff, and not always
easy to match the color with touch-up paint (actually, impossible with
Hardie's own touch-up paint, and a much better chance with letting
Sherwin Williams match it, but still not a shoe in depending upon color.)

Hmmm.....

Got away from cutting anything but trim with a saw when I was doing a
couple of houses and the neighbors complained about dust. I actually
had to pay a professional gardener to clean up a lady's garden as I
had coated the whole thing in thick dust. My bad.

Bought a shear years ago, (yes, you can use a speed square as a guide)
and have never looked back.

Plus, reading about the silica the saw blades throw into the air that
will no doubt get around a dust mask is scary. I can cause a direct
relative of mesothelioma to occur.

When installing the pre painted stuff, I put the siding face up until
I use it, then put it face down a bath towel padding on the saw horse
and the cutting action of the tool doesn't scuff up the finished face.

I only use a saw for trims or for complicated or pocket cuts and
insist on N95 or better dust masks.

Just sayin'....

Robert