Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Power outage revisited

Tim Watts wrote:

House I grew up in had all the lighting grounds twisted together
outside of various junction boxes because the dickhead did not
realise they made 6 terminal boxes as well as 4 (I'm being charitable
- the real reason is he could not be arsed to walk 10 minutes to the
shop and buy one I expect).

Funny you should say that about professional electricians... Someone
on uk.d-i-y was complaining the other week that they had to fire an
electrician for twisting and sellotaping wires together (I kid you
not).

We have this peculiar thing where either an electician can be
registered with one of serveral approved bodies - or his company can.
He was the latter case.

This is why I got qualified (partially at least) and agreed with the
Building Inspector that I would do my own certification. If nothing
else, DIY just means you can take a little extra time to do it better.

I've caught a gas fitter out as well - and their registration
procedure is extremely stringent...

It must suck to live in a jurisdiction that requires all manner of
government supervision, intervention, inspections, or permits to do
something as simple as replace a 200-Amp circuit breaker box.