Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Nailing baseboards?

On 1/30/13 11:01 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Placing three piece base boards around bathroom floor. Lots of
little pieces and returns. The two vertical pieces are a wood
composite and the base shoe is PVC. 3/4" tall and 1/2" wide. Using
a Senco finish nailer, 1-1/2" nails. 85-90 psi. The trouble is with
the PVC. First nail makes a u-turn and pierces my hand. Ok, get
full face shield. Later two more nails do u-turns and in three
instances the PVC shatters.

So what is the correct procedure now that I already purchase the
wrong product(PVC)? Do you glue it on? Should I drill 1/16" holes
and hand nail? All advice appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

I glue shoe mold all the time. Hot glue, Super glue.
Combination of hot glue and trim glue-- hot glue acts like a clamp until
trim glue cures.

Titebond Molding glue is very thick and tacky and sets up fast. I often
get away with just this glue, pressing into place and the tackiness
holds it in place. When that doesn't work, next step is simple masking
tape to hold until set.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=31183

--

-MIKE-