Posted to rec.woodworking
Ivan Vegvary[_2_] Ivan Vegvary[_2_] is offline

Default Nailing baseboards?

Placing three piece base boards around bathroom floor. Lots of little pieces and returns. The two vertical pieces are a wood composite and the base shoe is PVC. 3/4" tall and 1/2" wide. Using a Senco finish nailer, 1-1/2" nails. 85-90 psi.
The trouble is with the PVC. First nail makes a u-turn and pierces my hand. Ok, get full face shield. Later two more nails do u-turns and in three instances the PVC shatters.

So what is the correct procedure now that I already purchase the wrong product(PVC)? Do you glue it on? Should I drill 1/16" holes and hand nail?
All advice appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary