Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Karl - you may lose me to the Dark Side

On Jan 30, 9:12*am, Swingman wrote:

I may be looking at it myself. My Makita barely survived the last couple
of siding jobs, and is not operating as smoothly after being
forced/slammed through a few thousand siding cuts ... insisted only my
foreman operate it, but he turns out as heavy handed as the other guys
when it comes to tools, and always complaining about having to replace
tools because of rough handling ... hell, it's him.

Nothing like seeing someone that doesn't buy their own tools and uses
yours in a rough manner because they "want to get the job done" and
they declare "if it's a working tool, it should be able to take it"
and all that other crap. I have a couple of tools, my favorite Makita
circular saw that I use to cut down plywood sheeting and the
aforementioned miter saw that are off limits to my ninja warriors.
They are not allowed to use them. Period.

I have to ask, though... why were you using a miter saw on a siding
(assuming Hardie as we spoke of at Christmas) job? Or was it wood
horizontal lap or masonite?

When I say "never again", "never" obviously has its limits when it comes
to getting the job done, but were I to spring for a Kapex, I can
guarantee it will never see a job site.

I have knothead grade tools that my guys can use until they kill
them. But if I see them using them in a rough way, they buy their own
or they are fired. Between stolen and abused tools, I have put
hardware into half of my city's hands.

Robert