Dave Mundt

Default Grizzly G5959Z cabinet saw, 12" 5HP - safe hauling

Greetings and Salutations...
I am not a professional mover, but, have moved some pretty
heavy things. Unless you are adventuresome, or experienced
in moving heavy things around, you might want to seek
professional help (and I do mean a rigger...not therapy *smile*).

What ever you do, DO NOT HAVE ANYONE BELOW THE LOAD WHILE
GOING DOWNSTAIRS!

On Sun, 16 May 2004 18:04:25 -0400, "Ollie"
wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote
"Ollie" wrote
Please share your
experiences and ideas, how to move 350 lbs on narrow
45 degree slope for 12'
through a door opening with a two inch clearing.

Is that a slope with smooth surface or stair treads? Either way, I'd tie

it
off to something at the top and lower it down on a dolly or hand truck.

You
can rent furniture dollies. Using the winch to lower it, have someone
behind the saw to guide it.
Ed

That sounds feasible.
What could be the best method to get a furniture dolly underneath the 350
lbs crate?

++ Ollie

Ok...350 lbs may be a lot to pick up, but, it is NOT that much
to TILT up. A couple of not-very-large folks or one hefty boy should
be able to do it handily. I would strongly recommend the hand truck
(or appliance/stair truck, as it is known). The appliance/stair truck
is a VERY heavy frame, with small wheels for rolling and a "tank
tread" on the back for controlled lowering down stairs. It will make
this as much a breeze as it can be. The saw should be strapped to
the truck tightly, to lock everything together.
What ever you do, DO NOT HAVE ANYONE BELOW THE LOAD WHILE
GOING DOWNSTAIRS! Actually, with the stair truck, one decently
strong person should be able to get the saw downstairs with
no serious problems.
I would NOT recommend a dolly (small, square frame, with
four castors on the bottom) because it rolls TOO easily. Great
for flat surfaces, but, a recipe for disaster on a slanted surface
like a strip of plywood on the stairs.
Did I mention that what ever you do, DO NOT HAVE ANYONE BELOW
THE LOAD WHILE GOING DOWNSTAIRS!
It also might well be the BRIGHTEST thing to do to pop that
shipping container open, and, start taking things apart, carrying
them downstairs one by one. There are probably shims between
the base and the table top, so make sure you know where they
came from before you put things back together.
Regards
Dave Mundt

P.S.
DO NOT HAVE ANYONE BELOW THE LOAD WHILE GOING DOWNSTAIRS!