Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_5_] Leon[_5_] is offline

Default Planer Advice

"Mike Marlow" wrote:
Leon wrote:

How old is the planer/infeed roller. Do yo have the cutter head
locked down?

The in feed roller should be lower than the cutter head. If the board
is warped the in feed may not be making enough contact to resist the
cutter.

BTW - from the for-what-it's-worth-department... this whole exercise is all
about a Kreg jig. I finally decided to just buy the drill guide for the
K3/K4, and to build my own stationary base. The guide was $38 with free
shipping, and a push pull toggle was $14 with shipping (could not find one
anywhere around here, and I hit every major supplier around...). So - I'll
have just over $50 in it when I'm done.

It's not about the money though, since a complete K4 is only $99, and I was
already decided that it was worth every penny of that. It's all about that
walnut that kept tugging at me as I kept thinking about this. It just kept
whispering in my ear that it wanted to be a bench mount for a Kreg guide.
Damned thing would just not leave me alone. Then it started projecting
images into my brain about what it would look like after a coat of BLO or
three. Of course that blue is going to clash, but that's just how it's
going to have to be. So - walnut it's going to be. Complete with the Kreg
style stock thickness adjustments of course.

This is what happens when you let wood talk to you...

This should be interesting. You know that the base holds the guide at
different elevations for different thicknesses of wood.