Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Planer Advice

Leon wrote:

How old is the planer/infeed roller. Do yo have the cutter head
locked down?

I'm not really sure on the age. I don't even know how much wood has ever
been put through this - my son bought it used. It came with 3 sets of used
blades that we're going to get sharpened, so given that each blade is 2
sided, it seems that it's seen a fair amount of wood put through it. I did
clean the rollers, but having never used one of these before, I really
didn't have much to go on as I tried to assess the amount of wear on them.
I did have the cutter head locked down.

The in feed roller should be lower than the cutter head. If the board
is warped the in feed may not be making enough contact to resist the
cutter.

I will have to double check that in the morning, but it would seem to me
that the infeed roller would want to be even with the cutter head, wouldn't
it? The board is not dead flat but the amount of cup in it is very small -
I would guess 1/64 or less. The infeed does not even pick up the board to
start it in, so I'm thinking that part of the problem lies with that.

--

-Mike-