Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Karl - you may lose me to the Dark Side

On 1/29/2013 3:17 AM, wrote:
As we did last Christmas, we spoke of the fact that us better
carpenters/woodworkers/installers cope our inside joints as needed to
cover out of square joints in trim of all sorts. And we agree that
never is it more important than doing this on crown molding.

But I just finished up the kitchen I told you about, and put the
typical 2 1/2" crown around the cabinets. I don't think I have ever
used a harder wood. It was marked as maple on the unfinished side,
but should have been marked aircraft grade aluminum. I got the joints
where I wanted them, but the inside corners took me right at 30
minutes to cope and fit! Each! An hour for two joints!

Usually I knock these out in about 15 minutes or so (each)to fit to my
spec, including the cope and final fit with my large stockman. My
usual gear:

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5d68a788.jpg

To top it off, check the joint out over this cabinet door. You can
see the difference in the profile. (Don't look at the shadows above
the trim - I put the joint on a low joist so I wouldn't have that much
problem fitting it.) The different dimension of the profile made it
even more fun than it should have been.

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9cc8cede.jpg

If this were red oak, birch, regular maple, that nasty pre-primed
finger jointed catalpa or any other softer woods it wouldn't have been
a problem. But next time I might join your boys and check out an
inside corner cut on the miter saw before I get going on the trims,
depending on what my clients are paying for when we discuss terms.

The last time I used trim this hard was when I built a set of
barrister's book cases and put a little removable dimensional piece
that sat on the very top unit like a hat. I trimmed out the hat piece
with white oak crown moulding to match the white oak cabinets and got
the bright idea it should be kiln dried to keep the joints from moving
when secured. After making the profiling cut on the miter saw, I
wound up cutting most of the material away with a belt sander as I ran
out of patience and time removing that white oak with a coping saw.

Have you run into any of this trim? Is THIS why your guys don't want
to cope the inside corners? With another couple of kitchens on the
horizon I know I will have to cut this stuff myself to make sure I
like the finished product and will have to make sure I price
accordingly.

I am hearing the dark side of mitered inside corners calling to me....

Robert

P.S.: Loved the chairs. With your design and execution and Linda's
finish strokes, they are gorgeous.

Here duh saluit'shen

http://www.festoolusa.com/power-tool...ter-saw-561287