Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking
Danny D.[_7_] Danny D.[_7_] is offline

Default Last step in the project of building a home soda machine forflavoring cola

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 19:34:06 -0500, Frank wrote:

I heard about Soda Stream machine and wondered what flavoring cost.
That is expensive and I'm sure does not duplicate Pepsi or Coke in
taste.

I bought the Soda Stream flavoring you see in the picture for $5.00 plus
about 10% tax (makes 12 liters) at Bed Bath & Beyond.

That's roughly about 50 cents a liter (roundabout numbers) which is crazy
considering Coca Cola is only about a buck a liter on sale.

I ran a single-blind taste test with the wife and kids, with the result
that they 'could' consistently tell "a" difference between the three
'colas' I gave them (Coke, store brand, and Soda Stream), but they did
not correctly guess with any reliability which one was the Coke versus
the store-brand and the Soda Stream brand colas.

So, my tentative conclusion is that the cola taste is actually close
enough for government work.

The problem isn't the taste - it's finding a supplier for the syrup (or
for the syrup ingredients) that is reasonable on cost.