Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sanding teak (interior use only)

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 21:41:25 -0500, "Dick Snyder"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 20:49:15 -0500, "Dick Snyder"
wrote:

I have just completed a teak cover (top, bottom, and sides) for my crappy
stone mantle on my fireplace. I want to sand the teak to remove some
marks.
I know teak is an oily wood. Does anyone have any advice for me? All I
can
find when I google is advice on boat decks and outdoor teak furniture
where
the teak has dried out in the sun. My mantle cover is 3/4" teak I
purchased
from a wood supplier in my area and it is still pretty oily.

Wet or oily?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Now's the time to buy a cabinet scraper and learn how to use it.
They're really great. Find 'em locally or buy online.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-pc-Scraper-Set/D3294

Alternatively, you can always wipe it down with acetone just prior to
sanding. It's just wood. Don't forget to ventilate well. (I forgot
to when doing a small amount of painting with Rustoleum a couple
months ago and got a case of 45 minute flu from it. Thought I was
gonna die for a while.)

I will try both methods. I used acetone to get rid of the oil where I glued
pieces together so I have some already. I have a cabinet scraper too and got
a nice lesson on forming the burr at a woodworking show out here 3 weeks
ago. I haven't had time to practice what I learned yet. I guess I will now.

Remember that for a less aggressive scraper, you don't have to turn a
burr at all. Just file flat and smooth on a diamond plate. I prefer
'em this way.

Thanks for the tips.

You're welcome.

--
Poverty is easy. It's Charity and Chastity that are hard.
--anon