Rick Nelson

Default Beware of Unwinding Router!

Howard wrote:

The most important goal of any project is to end up with the
same number of fingers and eyes I start with.

Well said.

In fact, I have the chuck key taped to the cord about 3 inches from
the plug just so I can't get lax about it.

As a young kid, I almost launched the key through my Dad's head one time
when I left it in the chuck and turned the press on. When he gave me
the drill press a few years ago, the first order of business was to
paint the key flourescent orange. Now, I never turn on the drill press
before visually locating the key.

Back on the issue of routers, I'm also in the group that unplugs it
anytime I change bits. I've had my table mounted router fire up by
accident once when I bumped the power switch while I was lifting it up
to blow some dust out from under the base plate. Not a real dangerous
situation because both of my hands were on the body of the router, but
it was a strong reminder that power tools can come on when you don't
expect it.

-Rick