Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Default More on anodes, water heaters, a neat solution?

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 14:25:39 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 27, 3:58*pm, "Existential Angst" wrote:
"bob haller" wrote in message

On Jan 27, 2:48 pm, "Existential Angst" wrote:

Awl --

From a site I found (and mentioned, iirc, by a poster in the previous
thread), good info.

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pag.../Longevity/wha...

Here's a neat alternative to magnesium
anodes:http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pag.../OrderPages/XC...

Is this really effectve?
This seems like a perty easy diy electronic project. Could a 12 V battery
charger be used? what would be the connection points?
Not exactly cheap, either, but anodes for combo-ports (below) are not
cheap
either, up to $160 from Sears.

Note that there are basically two configurations to water heater anodes:
water heaters with a *separate* port, in which you screw the anode, and
combo ports (like mine), which accept the anode AND hw connection (more
expensive).

I think the separate port (3 ports total) is a much better design, makes
replacing anodes much cheaper, easier. Even the powered anode is cheaper
for this separate port.
--
EA

the navy uses electronic control of ships to prevent excess
rusting....

but at some point the cost of stuff to make a water heater last longer
will exceed the cost of a brand new unit....

and other things may fail like the main gas valve.

for me its not worth the screwing around to extend the life of such a
cheap device that costs less than 50 bucks a year to buy

That's a useful perspective on the issue. *This powered anode deal would
have to extend the heater life 5 years to pay for itself.

Apparently not a, uh, hot item.... *a search reveals no units.

Here's a Kenmore with a built-in powered anode:http://www.searsoutlet.com/d/product_details.jsp?pid=69223&mode=buyUs...{keywor d}

Also solid-state controls, fan (presumably exhaust -- whazzup wit dat???),
electronic ignition.
The reviews were inneresting, some locales really hammer the home-moaner,
installation/permit wise.
Even Trader4 would proly agree, many of these permits are off the wall. *One
reviewer's initial $225 installation charge (which is just pop-on, pop-off
hoses) wound up being $1,000, for an hour's extra work.... * holy ****....

Must be 'spensive, as you can't even get a firm price on this unit. *I'd get
one, if they gave me lifetime service for the fukn guar-own-teed-to-fail
electronics.... *sheesh....
Plus, iffin yer juice goes off, no hw.... *altho I think back-up generators,
once exotic, will proly be *expected* in a home sale.
--
EA- Hide quoted text -

One thing I would agree on is that you have an amazing penchant
for turning something simple into something extraordinarily complex.
My water heater goes every 10 to 15 years and I go buy another one.
You take a journey down active corrosion protection system lala land.
Now we're talking about Navy ship corrosion protection and $1000
installation charges. Good grief. Just go down to HD and buy a new
one. Oh, wait a minute. You were recently bitching about them too,
weren't you? That corrupt, overcharging HD place that you hate
so much, does feature renting you a truck for a mere $20 so that
you can get your new water heater home. And another feature is
HD is open right now. So, maybe you should stop blowing smoke
out your ass and go over there.

Actually there ARE electronic anode replacements available for water
heaters. If they are effective is another question. If they are cost
effective is another one.