Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Default Solved: Vehicle fuel pump as a transfer pump

On 1/27/2013 2:48 AM, Existential Angst wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

********Trim The Fat********

I had to drop the huge plastic gas tank on my 89 Dodge van last year to
clean the filter sock on the intake of the fuel pump which is electric
and feeds the TBI system. I found that there was an extra line capped
off that was hooked to a tube going to the bottom of the fuel tank which
I guessed was a design feature to allow mechanics to pump all the fuel out
of the gas tank before removing the tank. It was easily reached from
under the van which led me to believe what I had guessed. The return line
is designed to swirl the fuel around the pickup of the fuel pump to
prevent debris from collecting in the low spot. It's an interesting
design. I figured that drain line would be a good place to install a pump
for getting fuel or hooking up an auxiliary tank with a transfer pump like
an aircraft has. ^_^

I will check that out whenever I can get under the truck. Would be handy if
the Frontier has that, another alternative.

I know a lot of trucks have an option for extra tanks and the factory
probably installs a fitting or connection in all of them that would
allow a dealer to easily install an auxiliary tank. ^_^

TDD