Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Gas water heater anode is gone....

On 01/25/2013 06:05 AM, Existential Angst wrote:
Awl --

When I installed my Kenmore gas water heater over 10 years ago, I seem to
remember this big honking solid alum rod in the HW side. After replumbing
it, I discovered it ain't there no more..... just a long rusty iron wire,
about 1/8" diam.

I don't imagine I did the heater any favors by letting the anode disappear.
The Q is: how much damage? Proly depends on how long ago it dissolved
away. Any idears on how long they are supposed to last? I've never heard
about replacing these on a maintenance basis.

Any idears on how important these anodes are, ito lifespan of the unit?

Is this a standard plumbing supply item? Or do I have to go back to Sears?

This anode ditty fairly restricts the pipe diameter. Considering the
trouble I went to, to come as close to the heater with 1" brass, this fairly
****es me off.... live and learn....
Well, at least I have 1" to tap off of, later on. Still.....

have a look at waterheaterrescue.com - they sell replacement anodes, dip
tubes, etc.

I also recommend piecing together a ball valve setup like they sell. It
was cheaper for me to source the parts locally rather than ordering from
them (it's a 3/4" dielectric nipple, a 3/4" NPT ball valve, and a 3/4"
NPT to garden hose adapter fitting with a garden hose thread cap on the
end.) Haven't yet tried to flush a water heater and not had to cap the
valve afterwards because the valve wouldn't seal again

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel