Posted to alt.home.repair
NotMe NotMe is offline

Default Smart meters: Cops. Arrests.

"T. Keating" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 08:55:51 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

"[NAPERVILLE, IL] Two vocal opponents of Naperville's initiative to
install
wireless electric meters on homes were arrested this afternoon after
interfering with the installation process... Police are accompanying crews
this week as they install smart meters at homes that previously sent away
installers."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,6519967.story

Who will protect our precious bodily fluids?

The citizens of Naperville have got several valid points.

Privacy..(yet another added risk..)

RF emissions.. (I've seen 900mhz cell phones cause RF burns.. )

I've worked with RF from 100KHz to GHz for near 50 years. I defy you to
produce sufficient power to induce a RF burn with 0.6 watt input (RF
output is down by 50%+)

Notable increases in cell phone linked Brain tumors..

Cites?

There is more too this issue which is yet to be documented..
Prior studies done by cell phone industry don't cut it(bogus testing
conditions),
haven't been updated for newer tech.(higher frequencies, exotic
modulation).

Have you read those studies? Much less reviewed the reputations of the folk
running them or the protocols set up for them? Hint I attended the hearings
in Washington and visited some of the research as it was being conducted.

SM have a fairly high transmit duty cycle, since most of these meters are
set up in
ad-hoc mode, and often relay/forward data between hundreds/thousands of
other customer
meters every few minutes.

Reliability/Safety/Tort.. (Power CO can remotely shutdown/turnon
customer's power without
leaving a trace). It's only a mater of time before any encryption protocol
deployed is
compromised [Just like WEP, WPA. WPA2(have all been cracked)], and other
people will have
this capability.

In part true but to what end? Unless the do-bad has a personal hard on for
the home owner what could be accomplished other than turning off the power?
Which depending on how the system was configured could be automatically
switched back on in short order?

Fraud/Tort.. Smart meters can/are being programmed @ the manufacturer to
deliberately
over charge a large number customers.

Could be but the first time a utility or the manufacturer is caught at that
game ... FILM AT 6 & 11 and every 1/2 hour for the rest of the week.

It is well known that customers with PV panels
have been double charged for the energy they supplied to the grid. Note:
This also
affects other non-RE customers to a lesser degree(reactive loads are being
mismeasured/double charged).

Any PV system connected to the grid MUST HAVE UTILITY approval and
inspection (I've done a few). If not as soon as it's found out the service
is cut and WILL NOT BE RESTORED until there is a proctor scope examination
of the electrical system on the entire property. Fees and fines must be
paid in advance.

Power meters do not read power factor/phase change they ONLY read true power
delivered. Power factor changes are only applied to large industry
customers and this to the extent that the charges are interned to educate
the user to address and adjust the power factor losses up the line. (The
process is taugh in Power 101 levels of EE classes at every decent
engineering school)

Power meters are directional. Long time back a bunch of rural stump jumpers
figured that out and went to flipping the meters. Got away with it until
one or two forgot to switch them back before the meter reader showed up.
They also firuged out that a Dasey BB gun could shoot a small hole in the
glass cover that they could stick a straw though to stop the meter. The
result was one hell of a hard (BB proff) glass cover over the meter.

Naperville's bull**** policy of charging 24.95 a month to read a non-smart
meter is
bogus..

Likely a tariff item and just as likely to be continued until the users
contact the regulators.
Expect a lot of wild a** justification claims on the part of the utility for
the need for those fees.

Want a real case of the GoGoLaRough (red a**) take a look at your phone and
cable bill. Then follow the various fees. More than a few have no basis
in law, tarriff or logic save in the mind of some creative manager in the
provider company.

Let the homeowner read his/her meter each month, and submit the data on a
web page..
Every year or two.. the power co can confirm it..simple,easy, cheap..

P.S. I also refused the installation of one these Bogus smart meters.
But I did my
homework, and talked to GE's field engineering rep about the capabilities
and ordering
options of the meters being installed.

Did the rep mention the potential vulnerability of the meters to electronic
tampering to make them useless? Yes they are and to be honest the industry
has not quite gotten a handle on that problem (see stump jumpers above)
saving grace is none of the end users have (yet) figured it out either.

Thank god.. I don't live in Naperville, or I would be dragging these City
officials into
court myself.

You'd be out on your butt and the court house steps by summery. That is on
the assumption you could find a qualified lawyer to take the case.