Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D.[_7_] Danny D.[_7_] is offline

Default Need advice on garage door torsion repair (bearing, roller,drum)

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 21:12:54 -0800, Oren wrote:

Your rubber mallet was not the tool.

Hi Oren,
Now you tell me!

You call always visit a machine shop to press a bearing

I plan on rebuilding three AO Smith 220V pool motors, so I
just might be needing that machine shop when spring rolls around.

Will this neighbor lady be making you a pot-roast dinner?

Dunno yet. Even though I was up 'till 4am getting those bearings in
place, she was too busy today to be home for me to finish the job.

So, at the moment, everything is on her garage floor ...

I'm worried about two things:
1. I 'hope' the reason for the crooked door was the bad bearing,
2. I 'hope' I can replace the bottom roller without problems.

I did email Dan Musick at DDM Garage doors. He doesn't recommend
replacing bearings as the plates with bearings don't cost a whole lot
more. So that's yet another lesson learned.

It's amazing how much you learn on just the first & second time you do
something new to you!