Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need advice on garage door torsion repair (bearing, roller, drum)

On 1/25/2013 11:12 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 04:13:27 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 18:56:05 -0800, Oren wrote:

A bearing press would have been my tool of choice for a
few dollars cost, they have the tools.

Hi Oren,
I was wondering when you were gonna help me out!

This is good advice. If only I knew then what I know now.

I tried to make my own bearing press (of sorts) out of wood:

But, that was one of a half-dozen attempts doomed to failure.

BTW, WHAT PART of this bearing SHOULD we hit, and what part of
the bearing should we NOT hit?

Instead of the wood you used, place a scrap piece of 3/4" ply flat
over the bearing and seat it with a pneumatic air hammer. Force from
the top. No harm to the bearing? The wood takes the damage to soften
the blow of the hammer. Your rubber mallet was not the tool.

You call always visit a machine shop to press a bearing for you... or
remove one.

Will this neighbor lady be making you a pot-roast dinner?

I use the conduit knock out punches that I have to press bearings
in/out. I turn the punch around and use the flat surface instead of the
cutting
end. ^_^

TDD