Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Gas water heater anode is gone....

Cydrome Leader wrote:
In rec.crafts.metalworking DerbyDad03 wrote:
"Existential Angst" wrote:
Awl --

When I installed my Kenmore gas water heater over 10 years ago, I seem to
remember this big honking solid alum rod in the HW side. After replumbing
it, I discovered it ain't there no more..... just a long rusty iron wire,
about 1/8" diam.

I don't imagine I did the heater any favors by letting the anode disappear.
The Q is: how much damage? Proly depends on how long ago it dissolved
away. Any idears on how long they are supposed to last? I've never heard
about replacing these on a maintenance basis.

Any idears on how important these anodes are, ito lifespan of the unit?

Is this a standard plumbing supply item? Or do I have to go back to Sears?

You should be able to get the anode at a decent plumbing supply house.

They even make collapsible ones so you can install them without have if to
unplumbed the WH. I saw it on TOH a few years ago. I don't know how widely
available that style is, but they are out there.

they have sausage string ones you can sort of snake back into the port if
stuff is in the way.

Ummm...yeah...I just said that.