Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default What is it that causes home light bulbs to fail ?

I used to use a 300 watt incandescent bulb on a dimmer for my grandma
who couldnt see well....

bulb life was forever however the inside of the bulbs turned black
over time, eventually so little light even at full dimmer output i
couldnt read a paper. grandma was bothered i replaced the bulb before
it burned out

i have had a copuple CFLs die while i used spray wax in their
vicinity. fire came out of one... it appears the spray wax vapor
causes a short of some sort..

dont use a lot of wax but these days if i do i make certain the
lights are off and cold, then i wrap a rag around the CFLs do my
waxing, and remove the rags before powering the lamps back on.

sometimes i just remove the bulbs if they are dsty and spray the glass
part with water, then let it dry a long time