Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Stanley Schaefer Stanley Schaefer is offline

Default Gas water heater anode is gone....

On Jan 25, 4:05*am, "Existential Angst" wrote:
Awl --

When I installed my Kenmore gas water heater over 10 years ago, I seem to
remember this big honking solid alum rod in the HW side. *After replumbing
it, I discovered it ain't there no more..... * just a long rusty iron wire,
about 1/8" diam.

I don't imagine I did the heater *any favors by letting the anode disappear.
The Q is: *how much damage? *Proly depends on how long ago it dissolved
away. *Any idears on how long they are supposed to last? * I've never heard
about replacing these on a maintenance basis.

Any idears on how important these anodes are, ito lifespan of the unit?

Is this a standard plumbing supply item? *Or do I have to go back to Sears?

This anode ditty fairly restricts the pipe diameter. *Considering the
trouble I went to, to come as close to the heater with 1" brass, this fairly
****es me off.... *live and learn....
Well, at least I have 1" to tap off of, later on. *Still.....
--
EA

A 10-year-old water heater is likely about to split anyway, but go
ahead and get the anode, the ones I've seen haven't been THAT
expensive. Not as expensive as a new heater, anyway. If you don't
have a dielectric break fitting at the inlet and outlet, you may want
to retrofit them, they'll keep the electrolysis down, particularly if
you've got brass and copper going to iron. Wouldn't matter so much if
you had pure-as-distilled water, but that's not coming out of the
supply pipes these days and you'll have some degree of electrolysis
going on somewhere. If you haven't been flushing the tank annually,
you've probably got lime build-up which will cost you money in terms
of more gas needed.

I've seen anodes at the big boxes and some hardware stores that carry
more than plastic pipe fittings. Depending on where you are, you may
have to visit a real plumbing supply house and pay over regular price
because you're not a regular plumber or builder.

Stan