Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gas water heater anode is gone....

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 12:41:44 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

"Existential Angst" wrote:
Awl --

When I installed my Kenmore gas water heater over 10 years ago, I seem to
remember this big honking solid alum rod in the HW side. After replumbing
it, I discovered it ain't there no more..... just a long rusty iron wire,
about 1/8" diam.

I don't imagine I did the heater any favors by letting the anode disappear.
The Q is: how much damage? Proly depends on how long ago it dissolved
away. Any idears on how long they are supposed to last? I've never heard
about replacing these on a maintenance basis.

Any idears on how important these anodes are, ito lifespan of the unit?

Is this a standard plumbing supply item? Or do I have to go back to Sears?

This anode ditty fairly restricts the pipe diameter. Considering the
trouble I went to, to come as close to the heater with 1" brass, this fairly
****es me off.... live and learn....
Well, at least I have 1" to tap off of, later on. Still.....

You should be able to get the anode at a decent plumbing supply house.

They even make collapsible ones so you can install them without have if to
unplumbed the WH. I saw it on TOH a few years ago. I don't know how widely
available that style is, but they are out there.

The combo ones are a pain in the tush - require disconnecting - but
many use hex-head ones that go in like a pipe plug. Usually if the
head is dlat theyare aluminum, and if they have a dimple they are
magnesium.