Posted to alt.home.repair
Tomsic[_3_] Tomsic[_3_] is offline

Default What happens if you put 75 watt bulb in a 60 watt fixture

"Joe Mastroianni" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 05:57:44 -0600, homeowner wrote:

75 watt incandescent bulbs were banned on January 1 of this year.

That's odd. Today I bought the 75 Watt flood you see in the 1st picture.
Along with 90W (larger) floods (which were too big for this lamp).

And, at the same Home Depot, I saw 200 Watt long-necked incandescent
bulbs, and 150Watt 3-way incandescent bulbs for sale ...

So, they 'might' be banned - but they're certainly still being sold.

Only the common 100 watt and the 75 watt household bulbs (as of 1/1/13) are
being phased out so far and both, of course, have lower-wattage
replacements. The 100 watt replacement is rated for 72 watts and they've
been on retails shelves for a couple of years now. The 200 watt and 150
watt 3-way bulbs that you see are not being phased out. They're in an
"exempt" category which includes decorative, colored and other types which
are not widely used. There's not much energy to be saved by regulating them
and so they are not affected by the bulb legislation. There was an
"unintended consequence" to the bulb phase-out legislation. Bulb choices
for consumers actually increased in 2012 and prices of some types (such as
CFLs) came down substantially as bulb manufacturers cranked up their
competitive product offerings.

Tomsic