Posted to uk.d-i-y
Onetap Onetap is offline

Default warning - Machine Mart

On Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:30:36 PM UTC, Onetap wrote:
On Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:18:45 PM UTC, Onetap wrote:

On Monday, January 21, 2013 8:01:36 PM UTC, Rick Hughes wrote:

IMHO, IANAL,etc.,

A contract was formed when you agreed to accept a credit note.

If they didn't tell you about the terms and conditions before you agreed to take the credit note, they do not apply.

You cannot impose conditions after the agreement/ contract/bargain has been made.

They will argue that the expiry date is printed on the credit note; you could not have read that until you received it, after they had entered into the contract.

If they had told you of the expiry date, you'd probably have refused a credit note or used it before the date.

Besides that, IMHO it is a penalty that is not allowed under civil contract law.

You hand over £10 and expect goods or services to the value of £10 in return.

All trade is thus.

You could have demanded a refund; Bank of England credit notes/gift vouchers don't expire.

A lot of shops do this with the plastic gift vouchers, 2 years or you forfeit the value. I think it's a sharp practice.

Why would anyone buy such vouchers?

It sounds like machine Mart have trained their staff in dodgy practices.

PS I do not think you will get anywhere with the customer services droids;

they have their Machine Mart dodgy practices script and will not deviate from it, even if they agree with your argument.

I think you'll have to start a summons/money claim on-line for it to get to the legal advisers, who may understand contract law enough to see your point.

PPS They had also got you to accept the credit note by misleading you as to your rights as a consumer. "opened the box; you can only have a credit not".

Under the Sale of Goods Act.
Defective goods mean you can have a refund or replacement, as you please
Unfit for purpose means you get your money back.