Posted to alt.home.repair
US Judges are the enemy US Judges are the enemy is offline

Default older homes in cold weather

On Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:53:05 AM UTC-5, Vic Smith wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 16:26:26 -0600, Doug

wrote:

I'm noticing in upstate NY, zero or subzero weather and just wonder

how the older homes handle these temps? Does your heater constantly

run? Pipes stay safe? Etc... Do you have to do anything special

to your home for these kinda temps?

Really depends on insulation, insulation value of construction

materials, and how air tight it's built. Type of windows make a big

difference.

Pipes are always ok if they're in heated spaces, and always freeze if

left bare in unheated space.

I've been surprised at how low my heating bills have been in my last 2

uninsulated brick houses. The ranch I'm in now has attic batts, and

that's it. I did put in all thermal pane windows, but good storm

windows are almost as good. More hassle putting up/taking down.

Pretty easy to track heat loss and address it in most houses. The

expense and payback can widely vary.

My brick ranch is 54 years old, and it would cost more to insulate the

outside walls with 3-4" than the much older stick house I grew up in.

Besides replacing the drywall, I'd have to restud, and box the windows

and doors. Never seriously considered it.

Pulling the drywall, and putting in foam panels is an option, but

haven't looked hard at that either. Wouldn't get much R-value,

because the panels would be only about 3/4" thick.

The air in there already has some R value.

The old stick houses with clapboard siding like I grew up in were

usually drafty. We didn't walk around half naked in the winter.

But when money is tight, you adjust to all that.

You can insulate any house - if you have the money.

But going after drafts always has a high payoff.

Drafts and thermal insulation even plastic with a space of air works only if the roof has good r