Posted to alt.home.repair
US Judges are the enemy US Judges are the enemy is offline

Default older homes in cold weather

On Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:24:07 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 16:26:26 -0600, Doug

wrote:

I'm noticing in upstate NY, zero or subzero weather and just wonder

how the older homes handle these temps? Does your heater constantly

run? Pipes stay safe? Etc... Do you have to do anything special

to your home for these kinda temps?

Nope. Just pay the heat bill.

In really cold weather, (-20F) the furnace may run continuously or

nearly so but that's also true here in the South when it gets down to

+20F. Basically, the heating systems are sized for the expected

temperatures.

Pipes can freeze but mainly because something isn't built right (water

service or hyrdonic heating systems in exterior walls or worse, in

cantilevered floors/walls). In a properly built house this doesn't

happen, unless the heating system is down (pay the bill).

I eneded up keeping the heat set at 50 degrees so the pipes would be safe in the basement. Then I converted a room in the attic and used a kerosene heater. Big savings. But them old houses can light up like a christmas tree in seconds