Posted to alt.home.repair
US Judges are the enemy US Judges are the enemy is offline

Default older homes in cold weather

On Wednesday, January 23, 2013 5:26:26 PM UTC-5, Doug wrote:
I'm noticing in upstate NY, zero or subzero weather and just wonder

how the older homes handle these temps? Does your heater constantly

run? Pipes stay safe? Etc... Do you have to do anything special

to your home for these kinda temps?

My ancestors froze their butts off at Valley Forge in 1777. They just dug in and had a Christmas Eve Party in Trenton. They moved to western PA after Lord Cornholio was sent packing. Just south of upstate NY.
I flipped a house there a few years ago and damn near got a hernia. The heating systems pipes froze burst and I ended up replacing the whole system. Then the first cold month bill was $800. Suck it up. I insulted the walls through horsehair plaster, insulated the attic, replaced most all the windows and slashed the heating bill nearly in half. more could have been done, but I think geothermal would have been better. Oil and gas is very expensive. Crippling