Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Did Lightning Rods do any Good?

On Jan 24, 9:23*am, Robert Macy wrote:
On Jan 24, 3:07*am, Tim Watts wrote:

On Thursday 24 January 2013 08:05 nestork wrote in alt.home.repair:

I think that if there was good evidence that lightening rods DIDN'T
work, we would have heard about the controversy by now. *If tall
building are all equipped with lightening rods, that's good enough
evidence for me to believe they do work.

Obviously, you want to ensure that you have a pretty massive cable to
transfer all of that current around the house and into the ground. *But,
I'd rather fry a $300 cable than have lightening set my house on fire..

I'd put one in if it wuz my house.

Cable?? The rods I've seen all use 1" x 1/4" (or roundabouts) solid copper
bar.

--
Tim Watts * * * * * * * * Personal Blog:http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

Thickness of the conductor is NOT to survive heating, but to maintain
LOW impedance during a strike.

The too are kind of one and the same....

The sharp impulse of current is limited
by the self inductance [relating to diameter and shape of the
conductor] and the impedance [related to the cross sectional area]

Although a bar shape is probably the only available shape one can
easily get for the conductor,

Say what?

a round cross sectional area is the
best.- Hide quoted text -