Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air conditioning power svings

As a HVAC installer and service guy, my view of how to save power, is to
have the unit professionally cleaned. A dirty AC can and does use a lot of
wasted power. If money permits, upgrading from piston compressor unit to a
rotary compressor also helps.

If you get the remote disable, consider a window AC so you can retreat to a
"safe, AC room" sort of thing while the power company shuts down your
central.

Not many people have the capability, but it would be nice to set up a water
tank and a chiller that runs from the off peak side of a meter. Use chilled
water for cooling during the heat of the day.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"mike" wrote in message

You know the only way for them to reduce the peak is to turn off your AC
when it wants to run...the hottest part of the day.
So, people will just set the thermostat colder so it doesn't get so hot
when it's off.

This only works if it makes you uncomfortable. And we know how people
like being uncomfortable.