Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default eWoodShop - Mission Bar Stool - Upholstery done

On 1/24/2013 10:01 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Turner and I have had a go at building drums, including the shells. His
are particularly exquisite. It's really a labor of love, because after
all the time and effort involved, you would have to charge about $1k to
make any profit and very few people are interested in a snare drum that
costs that much.... unless it's from the 20's and all you can to is look
at it. :-)

I've seen that ... some beautiful work!

It's can also be all about the sound ... I know some guys who will spend
what it takes to get that "holy grail of sound" snare for their
particular music, especially if it records well.

I had an old, originally cheap, "Ringo Star" kit as the house kit the
first studio I built, and later down through the years either had to
turn down offers daily, or keep an eye out that it didn't grow legs.
Both the snare and the kick (with rock dot), recorded at 30ips on 2"
tape, would punch a hole in your chest on playback .... never could
duplicate that sound with any other kit, despite years of trying.

Then, along came digital, and ProTools ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net