Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default Air conditioning power svings

On Jan 23, 8:59*pm, Wes Groleau wrote:
Electric company wants me to install a device that lets them remotely
alter the duty cycle of my AC compressor.

Is this truly harmless?

Can it make the thing less efficient, or wear out / burn out sooner?

--
Wes Groleau

* *“Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.
* * But I'm not so sure about the universe.”
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * — Albert Einstein

Read the details of the plan...

When I signed up for an AC power use reduction plan there were a
number of choices.

It was while ago so I don't remember the exact details
For like $250 per year they had the right to disable the AC for a
maximum of 3 hours per day for an unlimited number of days.
For like $150 per year they had the right to disable the AC for a
maximum of 3 hours per day for X number of days.

The whole idea is they're paying for option to be able to shed load as
suits their needs.
They're not going to be turning your AC on & off every 5 minutes.

The net result of this program.... your house will be a bit warmer at
times & the compressor might run longer at times to "catch up". YMMV

cheers
Bob