Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default furnace filter - in/out - cold/hot

"ps56k" wrote:
I've had this on again off again mental debate
concerning our furnace filter.
It's the usual 20x25, and I get the upgraded pleated version,
vs the plain fiberglass version.

However, in my mind, the pleated version
restricts the air flow more so than the fiberglass - nature of the beast.

SO - when it gets really hot in the summer,
or below zero in the winter -
I temporarily pull the air filter out for max air flow...

Now, not sure why exactly.... thinking of pushing more "treated air" into
the ducts & house.
BUT - does it make any sense ?

Since the air stream is going faster across the heat exchanger (winter),
or the A/C A-coil (summer) maybe the air outflow is higher
but the temperature is not at the max....
I'll have to take a test run with my IR kitchen therm and point at the duct
vent.

Your right. Don't want to get dust and grime in heat exchanger though.
Sometimes increasing flow will cause dust in vents to get moving. I told my
furnace installer I wanted bigger filter size, and the goof put in a 16X20
.. I turned it into a 20X 25 myself. Same thinking. The electrostatic helps
take out that very fine grime that's hard to clean.

Greg