Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default older homes in cold weather

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 16:26:26 -0600, Doug
wrote:

I'm noticing in upstate NY, zero or subzero weather and just wonder
how the older homes handle these temps? Does your heater constantly
run? Pipes stay safe? Etc... Do you have to do anything special
to your home for these kinda temps?

It only got to 1F here last night, so the furnace doesn't even run 25%
of the time. It is sized for 20 below- which we hit every few of
years.

My house is 120 yrs old or so-- but the oldest window is 15 years old-
and I've insulated it to or beyond modern specs over the past 30
years.

My neighbor, a bachelor, has a similar house, with original windows
and no insulation. He 'camps out' all winter in one room with a
kerosene heater. I like my way better.

Jim