Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Did Lightning Rods do any Good?

wrote:
A lot of older houses had lightning rods on their roofs. Particularly
farm houses. They would have a thick braided cable that went to
ground rods. Many of them had a glass ball in the center of the
copper rod.

I'm wondering of they really did any good. Sure, you want to ground a
strike, but on some ways, it would seem to me that they also could
attract lightning. Anything that is a high point in an area attracts
it, such as large trees. Of course metal attracts, so putting a metal
rod on a roof is an attractant. In a direct strike, I doubt they
would do anything, in fact they might get hot enough to start a fire.
But a discharge nearby could be sent to ground via the lightning rods.

One other thing, was there any usefulness to the glass balls in the
middle, or were they strictly decorations?

Early on, there was a fierce debate among various religions. Since churches
in small towns, with their elevated bell towers and steeples were commonly
hit, lightning rods seemed a good idea. There were those, however, who said
even if they work, lightning rods would be interfering with God's will.

The debate eventually subsided as this group continued to get burnt out
while the other denominations flourished.