Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Default CFL ballast design, and using dead lamps for repair

"Spehro Pefhany"
"Phil Allison"

** Recently, a neighbour had an 18W CFL explode and bits go all over
the
kitchen - it was base up in a non ventilated fitting.

Must've been a pretty big explosion for bits to go everywhere from a
non-ventilated fitting!

** See the second half of this page for pics of the actual CFL and
fitting.

http://sound.westhost.com/articles/il-cfl-6.htm

The are no ventilation a holes at the back of the fitting and all the
spiral CFLs were a neat fit.

I only buy name brand (eg. Philips) products though, and probably
they're made a bit better than the ones that come 8 to a card. Never
seen any perforation of the housings on failure.

** The plastic bases of most CFLs simply push fit together - so only a
small explosion inside will blow the top part off.

Small bits of glass were strewn from one end of the kitchen to the other (
when I arrived with my camera ) and some bits had landed on the benches -
so it seemed the spiral tube must have exploded in mid air. The filaments
were both intact so the only explanation I have is that the glass spiral
impacted hard against the inside of the lamp fitting before falling in
pieces.

.... Phil