Posted to alt.home.repair
Tomsic[_3_] Tomsic[_3_] is offline

Default Cooker circuit

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Wednesday 23 January 2013 03:24 Doug Miller wrote in alt.home.repair:

MrMan wrote in
:

I have a cooker switch that I never use as we always have gas cookers.
I was wondering if I could convert the obsolete cooker circuit to a
power outlet, maybe a single socket. The cooker circuit is wired in 6mm
and into a 32a breaker. Would I need to change the breaker at all?

You probably should try to find a UK-specific group to post this question
in. Most of the people in this group live in the US or Canada. American
and Canadian wiring practices and electrical codes are very similar to
each other -- and very different to yours.

uk.d-i-y would be the best group for a UK specific enquiry.

Seeing as you suggest that the OP is not in the US (I was not sure if a
32A
cooker circuit exists or not in the USA), then I'll answer the question in
British context.

(I am not a professional electrician, though I do hold Electrical
Installer
qualifications[1] and a working knowledge the the IEE Wiring Regulations
17th Edition - current).

So to the OP:
=============

In the UK:

you *can* replace the cooker outlet with one or more 13A sockets wired in
radial configuration (ie daisy chained, branched, any way you like).

This is classified as a standard (albeit extremely rare) 32A radial
circuit.

If you are replacing a single cooker flex connector with a socket, that is
fine. If you need to daisy chain another socket off that for some reason,
you will need to do in in 4mm2 or 6mm2 depending on how the cable runs (eg
surface run on wall, buried in insulation etc). This will help:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technica...ltageDrop.html

You can and should leave the cooker isolator switch in place. It can
remain
as a 32A unfused switch. The fuse in the UK plugtop takes care of local
fusing requirements.

HTH

Tim

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."

Nice answer, Tim, and interesting information too. I've not encountered
your radial circuit description before.

Tomsic