Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] homeowner@home.com is offline

Default Why do Microwave ovens change direction?

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 05:50:07 +0000, nestork
wrote:

The thing to remember here is that there is only ONE kind of three phase
motor and only ONE kind of two phase motor, but several different kinds
of single phase electric motors. That's because each different kind of
120 VAC electric motor uses a different method of getting the stator to
create the appearance of a rotating magnetic field using only single
phase electric power. Two and three phase electric motors don't need to
do that because their stators actually produce a rotating magnetic field
for the rotor to follow.

There, now you know more about electric motors than 99 percent of people
named "Homeowner".

--
nestork

Interesting. I learned a lot about motors....
I've installed many of them, repaired some, but never knew exactly how
they operated, especially the capacitor types. That does bring up a
question. There are some that use both a start ans a run capacitor.
Why do they need both? Thanks for the detailed reply.