Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default refinished 5 1/4 on binaries.

On Tuesday, January 22, 2013 1:06:54 PM UTC-6, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Sonny" wrote: Some time ago, I acquired an old school desk, a nice little project to restore.

How old was this desk? Was it the type that had cast iron side rails with a writing surface extending out the back and a seat back with fold up seat out the front? You needed two units to form a complete desk. They were lined up in rows and secured to the floor with screws. Just curious. Lew

Probably late 1950s, 1960s model, not real old, as you're describing. All one unit - Stationary wooden writing surface, wooden slat backrest. The area for holding books is, essentially, a sheet metal box, with metal frame to hold the writing surface and metal legs. I restored it for my brother's daughter, when she started school.

I have another one, but haven't restored that one. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Sonny