Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default More metalworking content

On 2013-01-23, Larry Jaques wrote:
On 22 Jan 2013 23:10:09 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2013-01-22, Larry Jaques wrote:
On 22 Jan 2013 05:31:17 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

[ ... ]

I'm going to try the salt and vinegar approach this time for
the tool holders. See how it does. That -- and the hex and square 5C
collets. I've done the electrolytic, but it is a bit of a pain in
mid-winter (actually, so is the salt/vinegar approach -- maybe wait
until spring. :-)

Take 'em in the _house_, silly boy.

Fumes from either approach have some degree of acid, so I don't
want to run the de-rusting near other thins which could be rusted. Thus
outdoors operation is called for.

What, are you going to be doing all of them at once in a pool-sized
area? Well, whatever you're comfortable with is good, I reckon.

Nope -- as many as I can reasonably put in a container at a
time, but far from all. But in the winter, with no provisions for
exhausting the vapors, I don't want to do this in my shop to start
rusting other things which somehow escaped the rust earlier. And in
the rest of the house -- too many computers running which would suck in
the fumes and corrode printed circuit boards and heat sinks.

Besides -- until I have a place to store the cleaned ones, why
hurry in trying to clean them?

For the Aloris style holders, I'll want to take them apart to
avoid corrosion from dissimilar metals anyway -- especially the centered
adjustable arms knurling holder -- leadscrews, setscrews, dovetail,
hardened pins, and knurling rollers. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564