Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default More metalworking content

On 22 Jan 2013 23:10:09 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2013-01-22, Larry Jaques wrote:
On 22 Jan 2013 05:31:17 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2013-01-21, Larry Jaques wrote:
On 21 Jan 2013 03:31:36 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

[ ... ]

Lots of tool holders (30-taper and 40-taper as well as
Aloris style) need de-rusting -- or replacement. All the end mill sets
(normal, two angles of dovetail, and Woodruff key cutters) will need to
be replaced, as well as drill bits -- but waiting about ordering these
until I have a place to put them.

Are you going to try derusting them electrolytically, or what?

I'm going to try the salt and vinegar approach this time for
the tool holders. See how it does. That -- and the hex and square 5C
collets. I've done the electrolytic, but it is a bit of a pain in
mid-winter (actually, so is the salt/vinegar approach -- maybe wait
until spring. :-)

Take 'em in the _house_, silly boy.

Fumes from either approach have some degree of acid, so I don't
want to run the de-rusting near other thins which could be rusted. Thus
outdoors operation is called for.

What, are you going to be doing all of them at once in a pool-sized
area? Well, whatever you're comfortable with is good, I reckon.

--
The door of opportunity is marked "PUSH".
--anon