Posted to alt.home.repair
Gordon Shumway Gordon Shumway is offline

Default Why do Microwave ovens change direction?

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 21:22:25 -0600, wrote:

Why do Microwave ovens that have a rotating platter, change direction?
The platter seems to usually spin counter-clockwise. However, if I turn
it off to stir or check the food, the platter begins to turn clockwise.
It dont change direction once it's running, only when I stop it and
restart. This is the second microwave I've had that does this, and they
were different brand names.

Not only do I wonder *why* they change rotation, but *how*? I'm
guessing they use a shaded-pole motor (I'm not sure), and as far as I
know, those motors only turn one direction. Either CW or CCW.
Unless there's a belt driving them, there is not much room for any other
type of motor in the base of the oven.

Anyone know anything about this?

The answer should be intuitively obvious to even the most casual
observer. You do have it plugged into ALTERNATING CURRENT don't you?