Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Champ[_2_] Andy Champ[_2_] is offline

Default DreamLiner and Li-ion

On 22/01/13 15:52, Apellation Controlee wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 00:34:26 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

It took a LONG time for carrier based jets to become accepted, for that
very reason. No instant throttle response for a go-around.

Don't they whack it up to full thrust as they touch down, in case the
arrester gear fails?

That's my understanding. In fact before - the idea is to hit the deck as
if flying a touch-and-go, except if the hook catches you don't go anywhere.

well they didnt use to.

Source?

There is a tendency of course with modern planes to come in in a high
drag, high power high alpha attitude. Airbrakes and flaps everywhere.

But the terrifying physics of flight is that the typical speed range of
an aircraft is from stall to about 3-4 times stall. Unless you have
insane power available.

That puts take off and landing speeds of transonic aircraft somewhere
around the 200mph mark.

Right. And that put the take-off speed of Concorde at 300kts (not the
actual 225 or so) and means that a Blackbird took off at around 500MPH.

I don't suppose the space shuttle (max airspeed 17,500 MPH) counts.

Andy